Unlocking Blackberry 8100 how to: how and why to
The BlackBerry 8100 is a version of the popular Blackberry Pearl, a budget smartphone from Blackberry. Its features include a trackball for navigation, and half QWERTY keyboard which encompasses the positioning of letters in the QWERTY style but with only 20 keys. It also has a media player and 1.3 megapixel quality camera, as well as coming at a reasonable price, making this an ideal Blackberry handset for those on a budget. It also has many of the Blackberry features as standard, such as Internet browsing, email connection, document viewer and BBM instant messaging service. Its only downfall is it has a much shorter battery life than any of the other Blackberry handset models.
One thing that doesn’t differ between high end and budget smartphones is the SIM lock placed on them to try and prevent people changing their network service provider. The SIM lock restricts the phone to use on only one network, and is installed by the manufacturer at the request of the network. But when the manufacturer puts the SIM lock on, they also create a code for the remove of the lock, known as the unlock code. This is all you need to unlock your handset to all networks, and it’s often free to obtain. It’s legal to use, and will unlock your phone in minutes.
To get this unlock code for free, you should first approach your network service provider. If you are a loyal customer the likelihood is they will give you the code for free, and will even help you unlock your phone in store if you want them to. If they aren’t any help, you can get the unlock code from an independent reseller. These are websites that buy the unlock codes in bulk for next to nothing from manufacturers and then sell them on for a small profit to anyone who can’t get the code they need through their network.
Once you have sourced the unlock code, follow these simple steps to unlock your Blackberry 8100 Pearl:
1. When your handset is switched on, press the Blackberry key, select Options, Advanced Options, then SIM Card.
2. Press the buttons with these letters on them: ‘MEPPD’ (You are not entering the letter, simply press each key once per letter).
3. You should see a message similar to ‘Active Lock’.
4. Press the buttons with these letters on them the same way as before: ‘MEPP’. Then hold down the Alt key while pressing the 2 key at the same time.
5. Input the unlock code you earlier obtained and press the trackball/trackpad.