How To Unlock A BlackBerry Storm: Things To Consider
So you want to reverse the SIM lock on your BlackBerry Storm? The first thing to consider is that the Storm was not designed for high-speed GSM networks in North America. If you will be travelling extensively in Asia, Europe, or Oceania, the phone does contain the protocols for those higher-speed GSM networks.
Next, consider the cost. You can often get free codes for unlocking the mobile phones from your current carrier, but if they’re unwilling to supply you with the codes you need to unlock the BlackBerry cell phone, you might have to purchase the codes from a third party phone unlocking service. You’ll also need to purchase a fresh SIM card that isn’t associated with your current carrier. That nominal cost is more than offset by the increased resale value of an unlocked BlackBerry Storm.
Finally, consider the complexity of the process. The process to enter the code to unlock a BlackBerry cell phone is more complex than other brands of cell phones, so you may wish to stop into your carrier’s store and have them perform the phone unlocking for you.
Whether you got free codes for unlocking mobile phones, or you had to buy the codes from a phone unlocking service, once you have the codes and SIM card, you can unlock your Storm by following these steps.
1. Power off your phone.
2. Remove your existing SIM card, and replace it with the new SIM card.
3. Power on your phone.
4. Press the Settings button.
5. Click on Manage Connections then click on Turn All Connections Off.
6. Press the End Call button.
7. You should still be in the Settings menu. If not, press the Settings button again.
8. Click on Options then click on Mobile Network. If you are asked whether you want the phone to automatically select a CDMA or GSM network based on availability, choose No. If the setting to switch your technology to Global is not selected, select it now.
9. Click the Back button.
10. Click on Advanced Options. Select SIM Card.
11. Press the Settings button.
12. Click on Show Keyboard.
13. Type mep2. If that does not produce results then type mepp2.
14. When asked, enter the unlock code you were given. It will not be displayed on the screen so make sure you are entering the code correctly. (If the phone says Code Error and that you have 10 remaining attempts to correctly enter the code, you can ignore it.)
15. Press Enter. The phone will acknowledge with Code Accepted.
16. Turn the phone off and remove the battery.
17. Reinsert the batter and turn the phone on.
18. Press the Settings button.
19. Click on Options, click on Mobile Network, and set the Network Technology value to GSM/UMTS.
20. Press the Back button.
21. Press the End Call button.
That’s all there is to phone unlocking!